Sunday, January 15, 2012

First impressions of Khartoum

Just 10 days ago, I was relaxing in the garden of england (or should that be stressing in Kent?) wondering what the next week would bring. I had accepted a job teaching at Unity High School, an independent school in Khartoum, the capital city of the new Republic of Sudan. The BBC were reporting of fighting in the border area with the recently created South Sudan, but of course Khartoum is much further north, so I was sure this was not something I needed to worry about. Working out what to pack, and hoping I would enjoy my new school was of greater concern.

One week on, and I have just completed my first week teaching (Geography at KS3 and Environmental Management at iGCSE level). The kids at the school are wonderful, clever and well behaved (with the odd exception, of course). It's been a busy week - getting a new timetable, learning names, writing lesson plans, and attending 2 parents evenings!! But my colleagues in the school have also been wonderful at helping me settle into not just a new job, but a new country.

In fact, after my first week, if I had to sum up Khartoum with one word, it would have to be 'freindly'. Everyone is so polite, helpful, and happy, that I think it will be impossible for me to not enjoy living here. It is also extremely safe, which will suprise many people back home in England, who follow the news. I would also decsribe the local sudanese as extremely relaxed (some may say 'chilled'), which can be good, but can also be frustrating when trying to get something done.

I have moved into a large but simple apartment in central Khartoum, which is on the 7th floor and therefore has great views of the city. Pretty good I think for 'free' accomodation, included as part of my employment package. The city skyline is generally quite low, but is punctured by occasional tower blocks and numerous minarets. Whilst writing this, I am waiting for someone to come and look at a broken shower rail and (more worryingly) the lock on my front door. I just hope he is not too relaxed when he arrives!

Start of a new school week tomorrow, but no need to set an alarm, I will be woken by the calls to prayer which begin by 6.30 every morining!

1 comment:

  1. So glad that your initial impressions are positive, about school, the city and the people. Impressed by the early evening running, but you will clearly need to save yourself for Tuesday evenings, and whilst you're at it, put my name on "the list" just in case I ever find myself in Karthoum. Most unlikely, of course, and I would hate to get there on a Wednesday! Great looking blog by the way!
    From All at Oak Cottage

    ReplyDelete