Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012: The end of a year and the end of an adventure!



First, I must express apologies that this blog came to an abrupt end. There are many reasons for this: including an increased workload during exams and reports, and the ever increasing tedium of life in Khartoum. Also, a new opportunity arose for me in Singapore – where I am now writing this blog from.

Now I’m living in Singapore, I thought I would sign off this blog by summarising the things I will miss and the things I will certainly not miss about life in Khartoum.

Things I will miss:
1)      The Nile. The land near the river is so much greener so when walking or running, you can so easily forget you are on the edge of the Sahara.
2)      Being called a Hawaja, and then being ushered to the front of a queue (not sure of spelling or exact translation, but ‘Hawaja’ essentially means white foreigner)
3)      Seeing shopkeepers and tea ladies sweep the dust away from one area and into another. It always seems so pointless – yet it suggests a people have a certain degree of pride in where they live and work. There was a man in my apartment block, who did exactly that. He would sweep all the dust on our floor into a nice neat pile. Then he would just leave it and walk away – looking very pleased with himself!
4)    The absurdity of security and metal detectors in public buildings. Whilst I was living in Sudan, a new shopping centre opened called Al-Waha (pictured). It was a very good shopping centre, but to gain access you had to go through a metal detector which never did anything! Even more absurd, there is another metal detector in the exit – I’ve even pushed a shopping trolley through this – and nothing happens!
5)      Finally, I’ve leave the sentimental one until the end. I will obviously also miss my colleagues and the students (well, most of them!)

Things I will not miss:
1)      The dust and the pollution – which you can not escape.
2)      Absurdly slow internet speeds.
3)      Inflation – prices were going up almost every month whilst I was living there.
4)      Local drivers – especially those ones who think beeping their horn is an alternative to giving way!
5)      The lack of alcohol availability. (I think this is the first time I have used the word ‘alcohol’ in my blog. Amongst expats in Sudan, it is normally just referred to as ‘special tea’)
6)      Electrical wiring, which is never earthed and rarely fused! A tip for any new expat – just don’t touch any wire!)
7)      Sudanese Time. Whenever you are given a time to be somewhere, you have to always ask if is normal time or Sudanese time, which is always at least one hour later! (why not just put the clocks back? – oh yes, because then people would just be two hours late!)

So, this is it. The end of a ‘Teachers life in Khartoum’. Hope you enjoyed my blog entries. Please look out for my new blog on Singapore – starting in the next week or two.

1 comment: