Sunday, February 19, 2012

A busy week at school.

My sixth week at can be summarised as ‘busy in school, but uneventful out of school’ and so this weeks blog may be less entertaining than usual - but hopefully no less interesting!

I seem to be spending an increasing amount of time lesson planning and marking – which is probably wise whilst I am on a three month probation. This is standard for any new teacher and although just a formality, I know I will soon have a lesson observation. I have also been kept busy this week writing and marking end of topic geography assessments across Key Stage 3.

It’s interesting for me to see that, just as in the UK, some students work hard and achieve good test scores whilst others do the bare minimum for both homework and revision. I have also noted that whilst behaviour is generally very good, there are individuals who do push boundaries. It just goes to show that despite the many cultural differences here in Sudan, there are some things about teenage behaviour that are universal!

I also attended a year 9 options evening on Tuesday evening, met a few parents, and hopefully persuaded a few students to take Geography or Environmental Management iGCSE next year. Considering it is not usually an option back in the UK, I was surprised to find Environmental Management is a very popular choice with students at Unity High School.

There were also a few school events worth reporting this week, including a litter picking ‘Citizenship’ trip for the year 9 boys. The school had teamed up with a local organisation called ‘Our Environment, our responsibility’, and I spent a couple of hours with students picking up litter in Sunut Forest, which is on the edge of Khartoum on the banks of the Nile. For those who aren’t aware, litter is a major problem in Sudan, just as it is in many developing countries.

Also worth reporting this week was the cancer fundraising day, which both the primary and secondary schools were involved with last Thursday. The secondary school raised over 3000SDG with a ‘purple themed day’ for which students paid a small amount to wear purple items such as socks, headscarves and of course buy the purple ribbon. However, the primary school raised over 8000SDG with a very profitable (and tasty) cake stall. In total, that is almost £3000 sterling. This impressive amount of money will be donated to the local cancer hospital here in Khartoum.

A restful weekend followed, as I needed to recharge my batteries for the final week before half term.

1 comment:

  1. My spouse and I are considering work at Unity High School. Your blog has been one of the best resources for giving us a sense of what to expect if we accept the offer.

    Would you be willing to share some of your thoughts with us (outside the blog)? We'd appreciate it!

    Terry Swords

    ReplyDelete