Monday, February 13, 2012

Learning Arabic and the Whirling Dervishes

The big news from last week is that I have now started weekly Arabic lessons with a private tutor, and am slowly picking up the basics. So, I’d like to welcome you to this blog with ‘As-salaam alee-kum’, which is very respectful greeting, literally meaning ‘peace be upon you’.

Unfortunately, that is almost the limit of my Arabic at the moment. Although I have shared ‘Ism-i William’ and ‘Ana min England’ with random shopkeepers who seem delighted that I making an effort. But it’s a bit embarrassing that I then can’t ask for a pint of milk without reverting back to English!

I can also confidently tell a taxi driver ‘tawwaali’ to go straight-on. However, asking him to turn left or right, or stop, would be tricky if alone. Needless to say, I am hoping to make some progress over the next few weeks!!

My Arabic tutor, called Adil, does more then just take teach the language. He also keeps me informed of what is going on in Khartoum, including events of religious and cultural significance, which he knows I may like to experience. Last Friday, he invited me to see the Whirling Dervishes of Omdurman. This is the popular name of a group of Sufi worshipers who gather just outside the centre of Khartoum every Friday, to dance and worship Allah.

The event begins when a large crowd of Sufis (which is part of the Sunni faith) gather outside a small mosque in the centre of a rather eerie graveyard, and spontaneously stand in a large circle which is surrounded by worshipers and a few interested tourists. A group of Sufis then march into the circle, wearing brightly coloured green robes, and begin chanting and dancing.

They are known as the ‘Whirling Dervishes’ because of the frantic way that many of the Sufi spin around the space which is created in the centre of the circle. I was told the purpose of the ceremony is for the Dervishes to reach a state of ecstasy and enlightenment that enable them to link directly to God.

It was certainly an amazing spectacle, and what struck me was how happy and welcoming all the Sufi worshipers were. They were quite used to expats and tourists watching the ceremony, and did not mind these photographs being taken. There was even a moment when I was asked to join the circle, which I did. Luckily there is no photo of this rather embarassing spectacle!

Until next week, 'Shukran' and 'Ma-a s-salaama' (thank you and goodbye)

No comments:

Post a Comment