Monday, March 26, 2012

There is no escaping the sand!

As April approaches, the temperatures in Khartoum are really starting to rise. So far, the hottest day I have experienced was 42 (which was a one-off), but I am told this will soon become the norm with temperatures occasionally getting closer to 50. Whilst the apartments provided by the school do not have air conditioning, they do all have coolers. I am not sure how they work, but they require a water supply and blow cold air into the apartment (I have one in the bedroom and one in the lounge).

Earlier this week, my lounge cooler stopped working but the school was very good in arranging for it to be fixed, and I was told someone would do this whilst I was at school on Tuesday. I am pleased to report the cooler was fixed and it now works very well. However, on my return from school that day, I could immediately see why it had stopped working. The apartment had sand everywhere - on the floor, on the tables and had even got into the kitchen and bathroom. Outside the apartment was a black sack full of dust, bits of fluff and lots of sand! The man who cleaned out the cooler had clearly tried to tidy up afterwards – but not very well!

I’m not sure why I did not take a photograph of this – probably too tired – but the next day my cleaner visited and so the flat was spotless again on Wednesday. Perhaps I’ll give her a bonus this month! But I have taken a photograph of the pigeons which have since started appearing on my balcony, attracted by water which is now dripping from the cooler. Never mind, at least it works - and I’m sure the birds appreciate the water!

It should perhaps have come as no surprise that the cooler became blocked up with sand, given the amount of sand which exits in the city. Sand is literally everywhere: It is on the corner of every street, in the air, in the home and even in the water supply. With so much around, it is clearly of little value and so it is common to see huge piles of it next to any building site, where it has either been discarded or is perhaps just ‘pending’ (As mentioned in my very first blog, Sudanese are relaxed and never rush anything).
 
A violent sandstorm is known as a ‘haboob’ in Khartoum, and whilst these are rare, it is quite common to experience what I call a ‘sandy haze’ in the air. This is particularly noticeable from my apartment on the 7th floor. The most serious sandstorm I have experienced (which was a few weeks ago) is pictured, but I am not sure if this was a ‘haboob’ or just a more severe sandy haze. There was certainly no wind on the day this picture was taken, but the sand was bad enough to leave a nasty taste in the mouth.

As for the water supply, the sand in the water is noticeable on most days, especially of filling a sink. I do have a water filter in the kitchen, which is very useful and saves me a lot of money on bottled water. This tastes fine, especially if bottled and put in the fridge for a while before drinking. Unfortunately there is no such filter on the washing machine, which does create problems for the whites!!

No comments:

Post a Comment