Saturday, August 18, 2012

Ramadan, an Iftar and Sudanese food!

After just two weeks of teaching, the first holiday of the new school year has arrived, and I now have a 10 day break from Friday to the following Suinday inclusive! This is to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr, a holiday which marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan.

The week just finished has therefore been the last week of Ramadan and the last week of a shortened school timetable. Hopefully, it was also the last week of rain, as the flooded streets, overflowing drains and increased numbers of flies and mosquito’s has become increasingly annoying. It is surprising how just one or two hours of rain can turn minor roads into mud!

Last week the school held an Iftar for staff, which is the meal that breaks the fast at the end of each day during Ramadan (just as the sun sets). Unfortunately, the school’s Iftar was preceded by a rainstorm, after which walking to school seemed more like traversing the Somme! By the time I arrived the food had nearly all gone, although it didn’t rain again that night, so at least I stayed dry!

As fasting and food seems to be a theme this week, I thought I would also mention some traditional Sudanese dishes, which has not been included in any of my previous blogs, and which may have been served at the school Iftar (although I was too late to find out!).

The most well known dish in Sudan is fuul, which is essentially home made baked beans. I found the picture above on-line, which specifically shows Sudanese fuul (as opposed to Egyptian fuul). It may not look like anything to write home about, but fuul can be mixed with almost anything to add flavour and texture. Having said that, I tend to avoid fuul. I am not sure if it is officially the national dish but, outside of Ramadan, people can be seen eating fuul every day, often just sitting on the pavement just outside a corner shop.

Another popular dish is the sha’urma, which is the Sudanese equivalent of the donner kebab. It is made with strips of chicken or lamb, which is then rolled up in a wrap, with salad and sauce etc. There is a restaurant called Havana in the Riyad district of Khartoum, which makes especially good sha’urma and which I have been known to visit on the way back from my weekly shopping trips.

I’m hoping to add some more food related pictures to this weeks blog later, but the internet is very slow at the moment. So until next time – happy Eid!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, please do add more Ramadan food pictures. That will be really appreciated. I hope this Ramadan 2013 will be blessed and peaceful. Ramadan mubarak to all!

    ReplyDelete