Sunday, August 12, 2012

Returning to real rain in Khartoum!

With the exception of the total blackout which affected Khartoum airport on the night of my flight home, I had a safe and uneventful flight home last May, and a relaxing summer back home enjoying the delights of the British weather.

I returned to Khartoum two weeks ago and intended to write my first blog last weekend. However, the internet has been much slower since I returned, to such an extent that even the most basic websites have not been loading on my laptop.  Of course, erratic internet connections are simply part of life in Sudan, but I woke this morning to find a good internet connection and so have managed to post this.

The main item of news worth reporting from Khartoum is it has rained – yes, real rain – and on more than one occasion!!! There was a proper thunderstorm about a week ago, following which many of the roads were flooded! I took a few photos, but only of floods in the minor roads, as there were too many people giving me dissaproving looks, when I took my camera out on the side of the main roads. The picture of the rain is taken from my balcony, and if you are wondering why the roof of the building opposite looks so odd, it's because it is still a building site.

Unfortunately, although the temperature did fall slightly whilst it was raining, it has not been as cool as the climate graph suggested (posted a few blogs ago). I’m sure temperatures are down slightly, but it is now very humid, which has been quite unpleasant and has made a few of my colleagues feel ill. I am sure the mosquito risk is higher now as well, but I brought some industrial strength mosquito repelent from the UK (Repel 100), which seems to keep then away - touch wood!

It is also worth noting that we are currently in the month of Ramadan. This means almost everyone is fasting during daylight hours, and many of the local shops are closed (or at least have more irregular opening hours). The school term started last weekend, albeit with a shorter school day, but many of the students do lack energy and focus in class, which is quite understandable. Some students are yet to return, but I am sure things will return to normality after the Eid holidays. You never know – the internet may even speed up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment